Thursday, June 16, 2011

Saving a Life

Saving a life is scary because in the moment you do things in instinct and then you realize what could have happened after. I am still shaking because I saved Tommy's life at swimming lessons today. You would think that during swimming lessons your child would be safe but NEVER keep your eyes off of them. Today was our last day of our two week swimming lessons (thank goodness because Tommy would not have gone back) and the teachers of the Preschool level 1 decided to let the kids go down the slide. There are two slides on the same platform, a yellow and a green, and one teacher was at the bottom of the yellow slide catching the kids and the other was on the platform. Tommy went down the yellow slide and was caught by his teacher at the bottom, loved it, and went back for more. Their was another class (with bigger kids that could go down by themselves) going down the green slide. The other teacher on the platform wasn't paying attention because she was helping another kid go down the yellow slide and didn't see Tommy follow the big kids down the green slide. LUCKILY I was watching and saw him go down the green slide. I was across the pool and sprinted when I saw him going down the top. While running I saw him enter the water and starting yelling, "Right there, right there." I don't know why Help or Drowning didn't enter my voice but I didn't think it was necessary because one of his teachers was pretty close by catching on the yellow slide. I am so thankful that after Tommy plunged from the slide he came up and miraculously he didn't stay under and was struggling at the top. While I was yelling and trying to figure out the best place to jump in (this was about 1 second) I saw another teacher look over and she saw Tommy and helped him. It is crazy how just seconds can make a difference.

All I know is that if I wasn't watching Tommy he would have drowned. The life guard wasn't watching (even though he was directly 20 feet away straight in front of him) and the teachers weren't watching.

Tommy was scared and wouldn't go back to his lessons, I just hope he will continue to swim. I am still shaking and trying to get the adrenalin out of my body.

2 comments:

*Leslie* said...

So scary!! That's a great reminder.

Heather O'Brien said...

That is SO scary. My cousins little boy just drowned a couple days ago. He pulled through, but they pulled him out of the water not breathing, and no pulse. And now reading your story too just scares me. I'm glad he's ok.