Thursday, May 1, 2008

Crazy or Creative?


So after watching a TV show about how disposable diapers take 300+ years to decompose and after watching our Wal-Mart receipts increase with two kids in diapers, I've started to ponder the possibility of using cloth diapers. There are these new types that look like disposables, have Velcro, and are one adjustable size. What are your thoughts on making the transition to cloth diapers?
I'm not grossed out by poop and that aspect does not scare me. What scares me is the up front price, even though I know I would save in the long run. I also don't know if they would work on my kids, who are heavy wetters, and have about 3 poopy diapers each day. Am I crazy or creative?

8 comments:

SarahandJD said...

2 of my co teachers have used cloth diapers called fuzzi bunz and they love them. This is what they told me when I was debating. They require lots of attention and are a cost up front. They do save money and the environment. However not as convienient. I researched into it a bit and you want good ones. They do not use them on their kids at night or over a long outing. They also told me to make sure both husband and wife are up for it because they can become a chore to clean.:)

SarahandJD said...

They also suggested getting 10-12 diapers to start. And you can double up the inserts if you have a child that is a heavy wetter.

Andrea said...

I would wait until Caroline is about 6 months old, and then you should only need one set to get you through until potty-training! Bum-Genious and Fuzzi-Bunz are good. I would get pocket instead of all-in-one because they dry faster (saving more energy!)

We also use disposable overnight. I just couldn't find cloth that didn't leak, even with doublers- but I think Evan was a heavy wetter.

Dave and Tricia Folsom Family Fun said...

I have a friend (actually my younger brother's friend) who is a HUGE advocate of cloth diapers. If you want some good info. or someone to ask questions to - here is her blog http://calebanddanielle.blogspot.com/

She has a list of her blogs on the left of her blog and you can click on cloth diapers and see what she has to say about it. She even has some contraption hooked up to her toilet that sprays water on the diapers to clean them off, etc. She knows a lot and you might learn a lot just from reading some of what she wrote!

I respect anyone who goes this route so good luck deciding!

the Schrofs... said...

I don't think I'd say crazy...but BRAVE for sure. Sounds like a lot more work, but maybe the cost savings would be worth it. Let me know how that goes...

Ange

Heather O'Brien said...

I will tell you the truth. CRAZY!!! j/k. I sure as heck wouldn't do it but power to ya if you do though.

Sarah said...

My older sister has done cloth for all 4 of her kids and yes the upfront price is tuff to swallow but it has saved her a TON! And she says that you get so used to it that it is just routine after a while. Yep....I've thought about doing it too....it scares me that it takes 300+ yrs for those nasty suckers to decompose. YUCK!

Danielle&Lincoln said...

I guess i am the only one that will say it! YOU ARE CRAZY!!! That is just one more thing you have to make sure is Clean...Are you sure you want to run that through your washing machine? But you know if you decide to do it i am behind you 100%.